Monday, December 08, 2008

I Make The Rain

I love hot tea. I'm not sure if it's the agave nectar which I use to sweeten it, the warmth of the liquid, or the actual flavor of the teas that I make that pleases me so; whatever it is, it works a magic on me. I like the ritual of making tea. I like putting the loose leaves in my Japanese-style teapot and mixing weird combos to make a hot wet flavor experience. And I like the cups that I drink it from. I like the way they fit in my hands. I just like it all.

Some time ago, my teapot (the one I boil the water in, not the Japanese-style one) stopped whistling, so now when I boil the water for my tea, I have to stay generally alert as to the fact that there is water boiling on the stove, since the pot is not going to be so kind as to whistle and let me know. Alas, I am not always good at this.

More than I'd like to admit, I get distracted and totally forget that I'm boiling water. It has, on more than one occasion, come to pass that I will end up participating in the transformation of an entire pot of water into steam by neglecting the boiling water on the stove. This used to make me feel bad, as I thought I was wasting water, until I realized that perhaps I am playing a small part in the Hydrological Cycle, helping the big 'ol water wheel of the world with it's turning.

The way I see it, every time I offer up a pot of steam to the heavens, I'm helping to plump up the clouds, weigh down the sky, and bring the rain. And I like the rain, too. :-)

And another thing...

On the bagged tea tip: I friggin' love the teas (like Yogi Tea or Good Earth Tea) that give you some words of wisdom or a famous quote on the paper tag. I'm a sucker for lil' nuggets like that, and I appreciate chunks of literature and/or anything I can take as a sign and/or signal from the universe wherever I can get it.


1 comment:

Heather said...

oooh, I love the words of wisdom on tea bag tags too!! And fortunes from fortune cookies! :)